Social Media is definitely a very good way for small businesses to take news about their business out to the wider community.
There are pitfalls that surround using social media of course – here is the summary from my 14 page ebook that was sent out for free to my PREVISION marketing group members.
The thing with social media is that of course it doesn’t cost you much in the way of hard cash to do – but how much time are you spending on it that you could be working at your day job and earning money?
You need to have a balance – and of course, make sure that the people who are connected with you via social media are your target audience, not just your pals!
- Make sense
- Be consistent
- Be knowledgeable about your subject
- Keep going with a platform that you have started
- Do regular updates on EACH of the platforms you have begun
- Create tags to help define your content
- Have a strategy
- Do cross reference your other social media where possible
- Understand who your audience is and which platform you will find them on
- Collect encourage feedback & reviews from your customers to publish on social media pages
- Have a call to action
- Make spelling mistakes
- Have links that dont work
- Steal content from someone else
- Spam people with the same messages over and over again
- Buy lists of followers, or use software to generate lots of followers
- Send out endless drivel about your personal life
- Be negative about other businesses
- Share very personal information that could leave you open to identity fraud, or burglars!
Just remember and include some of yourself in your updates, have fun but remember: you are doing this for business so have a strategy!