Just a short note from me to day to comment on what a difference a couple of things make to my working life!
1. The sunshine. Its a glorious morning today and it completely changes my outlook and suddenly I’ve got more focus and motivation to get things done.
2. A good cup of coffee. Well ok, so I am now actually onto my second one of the day – but that’s because I’ve been at my desk since 7:30am
Of course, I could have both of those things but still be a grumpy old so-and-so so I guess the fact that I totally LOVE what I do for a living also has a major impact on things.
As I write this, its dawning on me that I am into the second year of my business and I feel immensely proud of what I have accomplished since setting up My Pinkie Promise, my marketing & event management consultancy in 2009. I thoroughly enjoy being in business and the variety of my work, added to the spark of new creative projects, really keeps me from getting that ‘same old same old’ feeling that can crop up in our careers.
Self-employment is obviously not for everyone – and one thing that I particularly miss is the social interaction with work colleagues. I guess I’m lucky because my job involves attending business meetings and networking with people. Plus meeting new clients and finding out about their businesses so we can bring their marketing and communications to life means lots of human contact. So working for a part of the day from your solitary desk means you need certain skills to keep you on track.
I have a brilliant book called “Eat that Frog” from Brian Tracy which still gives me lightbulb moments – if you have an issue with time management or procrastination, I’d highly recommend it.
Today I’m working on a few things (maybe I need a book called ‘Plate-spinning’!):
- bringing a client’s target audiences to life: understanding how they buy; what messages are right for them and how we will reach them – and planning her business launch
- creating an event plan for a brand new ‘Experience’ event for another client who wants to showcase her business, and those who use her service too
- kicking off another marketing project for a client, and
- working on the emails, and next lunch event for Women Ahead, the businesswoman’s network that I Chair
Anyway, enough rambling from me – I hope you are having a good Wednesday too